Sunday, April 19, 2009

Vicky Christina Barcelona

I just saw this movie with Hania and I loved it. It basically reflects what I have been thinking about lately which is such: although I dislike melodrama, it is better to live life fully, expressing all emotions and being honest to the point it hurts about them even if it means there's going to be some melodrama involved in life eventually, than live life half-heartedly, always sticking to the "plan" of what we imagine our life should be or sticking to the norm or to the society's rules, never risking anything and being afraid of trying anything out of the ordinary. And maybe that is the reason why I feel better in places where people are hot blooded, live emotions on the spot, never look back and never regret anything. And that is why I feel so bored in societies in which everything is according to the plan of a "perfect" life, perfect family, perfect job, perfect house, etc. and not taking any risks so that that perfect life remains "perfect". I feel very connected to Juan Antonio and Maria Elena and to their living out of the moment. Hania said an interesting thing: the triangle Maria Elena, Juan Antonio and Christina is honest and out in the open. Dough will be in "perfect" marriage with Vicky, until he gets bored out of his mind one day and gets a mistress on the side and will go to great lengths to hide it. In the first triangle everybody deals with their emotions as they come and everything is discussed as it happens. In the second triangle, in the "perfect world", when the wife (or the husband) finds out about the spouse being unfaithfull, then the melodrama starts and there's so much of it that it can kill everything. In any case, and in my case in particular, I come to the conclusion that there's nothing worse than a boring life and it is better to ask for what you want and to get it if you can than lie flat and hide in the never changing status quo. It's interesting how at one point Christina, the American tourist, suggests to Juan Antonio that Maria Elena should see some shrink about her suicidal attempt and mood changes in general. I don't think Maria Elena would think there's anything wrong with her, anything that would require any doctor's help: this is how she is and how she deals with life, in a compulsive way but that is what make her feel ALIVE. Would she want a doctor to proscribe some pills so that she would not be able to feel all the emotions, the pain, the tragedy? Hell no! She may want to kill herself at one point but to be half dead while being alive by numbing herself by prescribtion drugs - I don't thinks she would want that. I liked so many things about this movie. I also loved the scenery of Oviedo. We decided with Hania that we will some time in the future undertake a road trip to see all this beauty.

My story about Morocco will come. I have talked to Gosia who is coming with Rashid to Poland in June and we will go to Morocco to visit Rashid's family and the friends whom I made there recently. So I think I will get to the details of my trip before we set out to Morocco again but if not, then I will write with new impressions.

Now I am almost done with the house renovation. I will start looking for school of acupuncture, hopefully to start in the fall. In the summer I will still be here in Poland, making short trips here and there, visiting friends whom I haven't seen for a long time, visiting Katarina in Slovakia for a few days, visiting Marcin and Dorotka and their son Tomek (the next baby will be born in a few weeks) in Warsaw, visiting Gosia and Rashid in Lodz, and enjoying the good time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Słyszałam o Twoim blogu już nieraz, ale dopiero dziś zaczęłam czytać. Będę powolutku smakować opisane przez Ciebie przygody, chwile i refleksje. Pozdrawiam! :) Lu

July 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home